- U.K. Bars Huawei as Tech Battle Between China and the West Escalates.
- Britain announced on Tuesday that it would ban equipment from the Chinese technology giant Huawei from the country’s high-speed wireless network.
- This is seen as a victory for the Trump administration that escalates the battle between Western powers and China over critical technology.
- This move has reversed the decision of U.K. Govt taken in January this year.
- In January the U.K. Govt had affirmed that Huawei equipment could be used in its new 5G network on a limited basis.
Willingness to confront China
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson has faced growing political pressure domestically to take a harder action against Beijing.
- Huawei is the company in the eye of storm. The United States has also imposed new restrictions to disrupt Huawei’s access to important components.
- The British government said Tuesday that it would ban the purchase of new Huawei equipment for 5G networks after December.
- And all existing gear already installed would need to be removed from the networks by 2027.
- Oliver Dowden, the government minister in charge of telecommunications, said, “This has not been an easy decision, but it is the right one for the U.K.’s telecoms networks, for our national security and our economy, both now and indeed in the long run.
All the bans
- The Trump administration encouraged the use of other telecom equipment makers, including Sweden’s Ericsson and Finland’s Nokia.
- The announcement in January stipulated Huawei would be limited to “noncore” parts of the network.
- A turning point came in May, when the Trump administration announced a rule that would bar Huawei and its suppliers from using American technology and software.
- The decision, slated to take effect in September, could throw Huawei’s supply chain into chaos.
- The U.S. government on Tuesday published an interim rule that will bar Pentagon and NASA contractors from using technology from Huawei and other Chinese telecommunications companies.
2. Jio developing homegrown 5G telecom solution
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani announced that Jio is developing a homegrown 5G telecom solution.
- Jio will touch the figure of 50 crore customers and 100 crores smart sensors in next three years.
- “Jio has designed and developed a complete 5G solution from scratch. It will be ready for trials as soon as 5G spectrum is available and can be ready for field deployment next year,” Mr. Ambani said at Reliance Industries’ annual general meeting.
- Mr. Ambani also stated that Jio has built world-class capabilities in technologies such as 4G, 5G, Cloud computing, Devices and OS, Big Data, AI, AR/VR, Blockchain, Natural Language Understanding and Computer Vision.
Jio is all set
- Jio has 20 startup partners for these technological developments.
- “Using these technologies, we can create compelling solutions across multiple industry verticals like media, financial services, new commerce, education, healthcare, agriculture, smart cities, smart manufacturing & smart mobility,” he said.
- Jio has fully kickstarted five accelerators of growth of digital connectivity:
- Mobile broadband,
- Jio’s enterprise broadband, broadband for SMEs,
- Jio’s Narrowband Internet-of-Things (NBIoT).
- Jio Platforms can demonstrate transformative power of technology across multiple ecosystems — first in India, and then rest of world.