1. Cry for coal mining ban in Assam forest gets shriller
- A conglomerate of green groups has sought a ban on coal mining in a sensitive elephant reserve in eastern Assam.
- The Standing Committee of the Environment Ministry’s NBWL discussed proposal.
- Transferring 98.59 hectares of land from the Saleki Proposed Reserve Forest (PRF).
- Conservation NGO said in a statement, “It no longer matters if ongoing mining is legal or illegal in view of clear evidence of habitat destruction.”
2. UG, PG seats set to increase this year
- State universities normally increase the sanctioned strength for the much sought-after courses such as B.Com every year.
- While youngsters from the State seek admissions for UG and PG programmes, the student outflow less in this year.
- The move to hike students provide benefit many aspirants who fear for disrupted by failing to receive admission.
- Most colleges have sanctioned strengths of 60 for UG arts and science courses.
3. Army denies ‘detention’ of troops by Chinese forces along LA
- “There has been no detention of Indian soldiers at the borders. We categorically deny this,” Col. said.
- PLA troops tried to disrupt road construction in the Ladakh sectors.
- Dozens of soldiers have been injured in incidents
- The Indian Army has mobilized additional troops and equipment and dug into positions.