30th MAY DAILY NEWS DIGEST
1. GDP growth slows to a 11-year low of 4.2%, Q4 slumps to 3.1%
- The GDP expanded by 5.7% in the corresponding quarter of 2018-19.
- The growth in GDP during 2019-20 is estimated at 4.2% as compared to 6.1 per cent in 2018-19.
- The RBI fix the GDP growth for 2019-20 at 5% as projected by National Statistical Office in this year January and February.
2. Deep sea fishing ban period reduced from 61 days to 47
- The fishing ban is scheduled from June 1 to July 31.
- The State government reduced deep sea fishing ban period along coastal Karnataka from 61 days to 47 on June 15.
- The main objective of banning deep sea fishing during June and July is to protect fish wealth.
- As commercially important species breed during this period.
3. Knowledge-based economy the way forward: CM
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said to create a knowledge-based economy.
- It generate employment, produce wealth, power innovation and drive manufacturing.
- Mr. Vijayan reviewed ?1,500-crore Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board-funded project.
- It would provide Internet free of charge to an estimated 20 lakh BPL households.