IAS MAINS Syllabus:
Salient features of world’s physical geography. Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Topics Covered in this section:
- Geomorphic Processes.
- Endogenic Forces and Evolution of Landforms.
- Volcanoes: Everything You Need To Know.
- Earthquakes: Everything You Need To Know.
- Exogenic Forces and their classification.
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Running Water and Groundwater
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Glaciers
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Wind and Waves
- Major Landforms – Mountains, Plateaus, and Plains: Learn faster
- Interior of the Earth: Crust, Mantle and Core
- Earth’s Crust: Elements, Minerals and Rocks
- Ocean Floor: Everything you need to know
- Major Ocean Currents: How to learn faster?
- Movements of ocean water: Waves, Tides and Ocean Currents
- Countries of the World Listed By Continent.
- Interesting Facts and Figures Regarding World Geography.
- Soils of India: Classification and Characteristics.
- Different soil types in India: Understand the differences.
- Causes of Soil Degradation and Methods for Soil Conservation.
- Urban Heat Islands.
- Composition and Structure of the Earth’s Atmosphere
- Insolation and Heat Balance of the Earth
- Clouds: How to Distinguish the Different Types of Clouds?
- Sectors of Economy: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary and Quinary
- Factors Responsible for the Location of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Sector Industries in Various Parts of the World (Including India)
- Distribution of Major Industries: Location Factors
- Biosphere Reserves of India: Names and Location
- Geographical Indication (GI) Tags in India: Memorize Faster
- Ramsar sites (Wetlands) in India: Memorize faster
- UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites: Names from India
6th to 12th NCERTs
Geography of India – Majid Husain.
World Geography – Majid Husain
Physical Geography – Savindra Singh
Human Geography – Majid Husain
Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong
Oxford School Atlas – Oxford.