UPSC CSE PAPER-1 Previous Years Papers
- Answer the following:
- Describe the methods to determine the energy requirements for maintenance in adult animals.
- Why is a dairy plan required before starting a dairy enterprise? Explain various steps involved in planning.
- Explain recombinant DNA technology along with its uses.
- Define true anoestrus in cow with characteristics of ovary and narrate the strategic approach to manage it.
- A radiolabelled substance was injected in vein of right forelimb of a cow and later it was detected in the artery of left forelimb. Illustrate its pathway through line diagram only.
Q2. (a) Why is raising of Lambs important? Explain good Lamb-raising practices for profitable mutton production.
(b) What do you mean by acid-base balance? Explain how it is regulated by kidney.
(c) Describe different methods of hay-making. What are the nutrient losses occurred during hay making and how to prevent these loses?
Q3. (a) Describe the strategies for feeding of high-yielding dairy animals different stages of lactation.
(b) Explain the care and managemental practices to be taken up during pregnancy and farrowing in sow. What care needs to be taken to improve survival rate of piglets born?
(c) Describe the reflex stimulation of let-down of milk in dairy animals along with diagram.
Q4. (a) Discuss the significance of semen quality and enlist the associated tests for its evaluation. Write down the ‘cervical mucus penetration test’ in detail.
(b) Explain various sources of variation in the population. Write down the implications of variation (component wise).
(c) List out various sheep development programmes taken up in India. What are the constraints in implementation of these programmes and how to overcome them?
(a) Explains the factors affecting efficient utilization of non – protein nitrogen compound in ruminants diet.
(b) Enlist various hormones secreted by different reproductive organs (male and female). Write their nature, source and main functions.
(c) Explain how the following farm productions records are standardized :
(ii) Correction of age
(iii) Lactation length
(iv) Correction for frequency of milking
(d) Explains the principles of extension education in India.
(e) Explain the experiences of crossbreeding programme of dairy cattle in India.
Q6. (a) Explain the formation and structure of various components of chicken egg. List out various abnormalities in egg formation.
(b) Enlist the properties of ideal dilutor used for deep-freezing of bull semen with composition of TRIS dilutor used for same purpose.
(c) Classify the minerals and explain the role of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D in bone formation.
Q7. (a) Enlist various accessary sex glands of bull and describe the contribution of seminal vesicle to semen.
(b) Explain the feeding of adult rabbits. How is dietary fibre utilized in rabbits?
(c) What is breeding efficiency and how can it be measured?(a) Calculate the dilution factor and volume of dilutor from the given information :
Q8. Write short note on following:
Ejaculate volume- 5 ml
Progressive sperm motility-80%
Sperm concentration- 1000 x 106 /ml
Use of mini French straw for semen freezing
(b) What is heritability? Explain the salient features of heritability along with its uses.
(c) Write short notes on the following :
(i) Biological value
(ii) Feeding of breeding boars
(iii) Essential Amino Acids Index (EAAI)
(iv) Use of Indicators for digestibility determination
CSE (MAINS), 2018
1. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each:
- Describe different types of calorimetry.
- Define AI and mention the advantages and disadvantages of AI.
- Give diagrammatic representation of kidney and narrate its functions.
- Write BIS specification of nutrient requirements for chicken.
- Mention digestive organs and their role in food digestion in monogastric animals.
2. (a) Differentiate between the following:
(i) Probiotics and Prebiotics
(ii) Fatty liver and kidney syndrome (FLKS) and Fatty liver and haemorrhagic syndrome (FLHS)
(iii) Protein efficiency ratio and Net protein utilization
(iv) Green fodder and Straws
(v) Metabolic faecal nitrogen and Endogenous urinary nitrogen
(b) Write in brief on the following:
(i) Nutrient-parasite interrelationship
(ii) The role of vitamin D in calcium absorption
(iii) Feeding schedule for breeding bulls
(iv) Blood-brain barrier
(v) Growth curve
(c) Write the causes and management of repeat breeding cases in cows.
3. (a) Write the chemical nature, physiological functions and deficiency symptoms of vitamin A in animals.
(b) Mention different haematobiocemical tests in relation to disease diagnosis in animals.
(c) Write the physicochemical properties of ejaculated semen in domestic animals.
(d) Write in detail the factors affecting water requirements of animals.
4. (a) Define balanced ration. Write desirable characteristics of ration.
(b) Discuss the factors affecting digestibility of feeds.
(c) Mention different metalloenzymes and their functions in livestock.
(d) Discuss different methods of oestrus detection in animals.
5. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each:
(a) Write about the structure and functions of ribosomal RNA.
(b) Discuss about modified Mendelian ratio in monohybrid cross with examples.
(c) Write a short note on stall-feeding of goats.
(d) Write about the advantages and disadvantages of DNA vaccines.
(e) Write in detail about the constraints in transfer of technology to the farmers.
6. (a) Explain sex-linked inheritance and sex-influenced inheritance with suitable example.
(b) Describe the managemental practices to be adopted during the transport of dairy cattle through rail and roads.
(c) How do systematic processes affect the gene and genotype frequency? Explain.
7. (a) Enumerate the theories of sex determination and explain genic balance theory.
(b) Discuss quarantine measures to be adopted for newly purchased animals.
(c) Write in detail about the preparation of metaphase chromosome spread through peripheral blood leucocyte culture for chromosome analysis.
(d) What are the modern management practices for enhancing productivity of pig?
8. (a) Write in detail about the components of variance.
(b) Discuss various managemental practices to be adopted to ameliorate heat stress during summer for dairy cattle.
(c) Discuss in detail about different animal husbandry programmes for rural development in India.
(d) Write about breed characteristics of Madras Red Sheep.