- Context: IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory Authority of India) has advised all Insurance companies for issuance of Digital Insurance Policies via DigiLocker.
- Digilocker, the National Digital Locker System, is an initiative under the Digital India program by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) Government of India where citizens can get authentic documents/ certificate in digital format from original issuers of these certificates.
- It aims at eliminating or minimising the use of physical documents and will enhance effectiveness of service delivery, making these hassle free and friendly for the citizens.
- In the insurance sector, Digilocker will drive:
- Reduction in costs,
- Elimination of customer complaints relating to non-delivery of policy copy,
- Improved turn around time of insurance services,
- Faster claims processing and settlement,
- Reduction in disputes,
- Reduction in fraud and
- Improvement in customer contactability.
India’s Digital Initiatives
- Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker, the National Digital Locker System, is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus eliminating the use of physical documents.
- Indian citizens who sign up for a DigiLocker account get a dedicated cloud storage space that is linked to their Aadhaar (UIDAI) number.
- Organizations that are registered with Digital Locker can push electronic copies of documents and certificates (e.g. driving license, Voter ID, School certificates) directly into citizens lockers.
- Citizens can also upload scanned copies of their legacy documents in their accounts.
- 256 Bit SSL Encryption: DigiLocker uses 256 bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption for information transmitted during any activity.
- DigiLocker now allows citizens to access their digital Aadhaar. What is digital Aadhaar? Is it the same as the eAadhaar issued by UIDAI?
- Digital Aadhaar in DigiLocker is the same as eAadhaar issued by UIDAI. DigiLocker has partnered with UIDAI to make it available automatically to its users when they link their DigiLocker account with Aadhaar.
- The advantage of digital Aadhaar is that it can now be used in the same way as any other DigiLocker document.
The platform has the following benefits:
- Citizens can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- Digital Locker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
- Self-uploaded documents can be digitally signed using the eSign facility (which is similar to the process of self-attestation).
- Twitter Samvad enables any Indian with a mobile device to receive real-time info from their political leaders and government organisations.
- A simple missed call to an assigned phone number for each government partner means you will be able to receive each Tweet from the partner as an SMS, even if you are offline.
- Since Samvad is built on the technology of ZipDial, an Indian company, this is truly a locally-developed initiative.
- People who sign up will receive a set of curated Tweets based on the highest engagement throughout the day to stay up-to-date with real-time information about government-related news, policies and activities.
- And you can use Twitter Samvad during emergency situations to receive live updates from government bodies, such as time-sensitive information and details about rescue efforts.
- IndiaStack is a set of APIs (application program interface) that allows governments, businesses, startups and developers to utilise a unique digital Infrastructure to solve India’s hard problems towards presence-less, paperless, and cashless service delivery.
India stack provides 4 distinct technology layers
- Presenceless layer: Where a universal biometric digital identity allows people to participate in any service from anywhere in the country
- Paperless layer: Where digital records move with an individual’s digital identity, eliminating the need for massive amount of paper collection and storage
- Cashless layer: Where a single interface to all the country’s bank accounts and wallets to democratize payments
- Consent layer: Which allows data to move freely and securely to democratize the market for data
- APIs included in India Stack The following APIs are considered to be a core part of the India Stack.
- Aadhaar Authentication
- Aadhaar e-KYC
- Digital Locker
- Unified Payment Interface (UPI)
- Digital User Consent – still work in progress.
- The following APIs are also considered to be societal platforms built on similar principles like India Stack:
- GSTN – The Goods and Services Tax Network
- BBPS – The Bharat Bill Payment System
- ETC – Electronic Toll Collection (known under the brand FASTag)
- Digital India aims to provide the much-needed thrust to the nine pillars of growth areas, namely
- Broadband Highways,
- Universal Access to Mobile Connectivity,
- Public Internet Access Programme,
- e-Governance: Reforming Government through Technology,
- e-Kranti – Electronic Delivery of Services,
- Information for All,
- Electronics Manufacturing,
- IT for Jobs
- Early Harvest Programmes.