250 cairn-circles identified at village in Erode district
What is a Cairn used for?
- Cairn, a pile of stones that is used as a boundary marker, a memorial, or a burial site.
- Cairns are usually conical in shape and were often erected on high ground.
The Erode district findings :
- There have been found a total number of 250 cairn-circles in the village Kodumanal of Erode district of Tamil Nadu.
- A team of Archaeological department has found 10 pots and bowls kept outside three-chambered burial cists which relates it to the concept of afterlife in megalithic culture.
- The team had revealed that this site served as a trade-cum-industrial centre from 5th century BCE to 1st century BCE.
About the chambers :
- All the chambers are rectangular in shape with 2m of length and 6m width.
- These are stone made and surrounded by boulders that form a circle.
- The size of this grave is bigger so expert say this could be of a village head or of the community head.
The Belief of rebirth :
- Expert says that this is first of its kind grave found in excavation.
- 10 pot near the cists were filled with grains, showcasing the belief that the dead person would get another life.
The village has alot to unearth:
- In the recent excavation activities it was found that multi-ethnic groups of people lived at the village, located about 500 m away from the Noyyal river.
- Tamil Brahmi script, mud walls, gold pieces, skull of a wolf or a dog has also been found.
- “We also found pieces of grooved tiles at a trench. Further excavation will reveal more,” Mr. Ranjith, an expert said.
- The team is accompanied by an archaeologist, an expert, six researchers, and 40 workers.
India to take part in meeting of RIC grouping
“Russia for ‘constructive dialogue’ between India and China over LAC tension.
India gives a nod :
- India gave a nod to Russia-India-China group virtual meeting to be held on June 23 amid tensions on LAC.
- The Ministry of External affairs confirmed the ministerial level meeting that will support “constructive dialogue” over the tension in eastern Ladakh.
What is expected?
- This meeting confirmation from MEA came after External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart had words on phone on June 15.
- In the RIC grouping we expect a moment of frank exchange between the Indian and the Chinese sides when Ladakh scenario is discussed.
Unified agenda :
- This RIC is a platform that supports unified agenda and solves several regional and global issues.
- A Russian diplomatic source also highlighted that Moscow is trusted by both India and China.
- Russia is going to support the dialogue between India and China even though their Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov had said that bilateral issues were not discussed at RIC.
India is committed to protect its sovereignty
- “They took premeditated and planned action that was directly responsible for the resulting violence and casualties suffered by both sides. This could have been avoided had the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side,” said Mr. Srivastava a spokesperson of MEA.
- Laying out the Indian position, the official argued that India is committed to protecting its sovereignty and territorial integrity even as it remains “firmly convinced of the need for maintenance of peace and tranquility in the border areas and resolution of differences through dialogue.”