Context: 108th Science Congress to be held in 2022 instead of January 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Pune to remain host city.
- The organisers had a special display to showcase ‘Villagers Science Congress’, which they plan to retain for the 2022 event.
- The theme of the event, planned to be organised at Symbiosis International University (SIU)’s Lavale campus, is ‘Science and technology for sustainable development with women empowerment’.
Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
- The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) owes its origin to the foresight and initiative of two British Chemists, namely, Professor J. L. Simonsen and Professor P.S. MacMahon.
- It occurred to them that scientific research in India might be stimulated if an annual meeting of research workers somewhat on the lines of the British Association for the Advancement of Science could be arranged.
- The first meeting of the Congress was held from January 15-17, 1914 at the premises of the Asiatic Society, Calcutta, with the Honourable Justice Sir Asutosh Mukherjee, the then Vice-Chancellor of the Calcutta University, as President.
- The 34th Annual Session of the Indian Science Congress was held at Delhi in January 3-8,1947 with Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India, as General President.
- The 100th Annual Session of the Indian Science Congress was held at Kolkata in January 2013 with Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, as General President.
- These are the only two Prime Minister who acted as the General President.
- In 1976, Dr. M.S. Swaminathan, the then General President of ISCA introduced the Focal Theme of national relevence which is now discussed in every section, committee and forum during the annual session.