Context: India’s second and South India’s first Kisan Train commenced its inaugural run from Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh to Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi recently.
- Anantapur is fast becoming the Fruit Bowl of Andhra Pradesh.
- Introduction of Kisan Rail is conceptualized to provide priority to the farming sector and facilitate transportation of perishable agricultural products to various market places across the country.
- The trains with frozen containers are expected to build a seamless national cold supply chain for perishables.
- Kisan Rail service was announced in the Union Budget 2020-21 and it was also stated that the Indian Railways will set up a Kisan Rail through PPP arrangements.
- The first such train runs weekly between Devlali (Maharashtra) to Danapur (Bihar).
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Saturday said the Aviation Ministry will launch the
- Krishi Udaan will be launched by the Ministry of Civil Aviation on international and national routes.
- This scheme aims to assist farmers in transporting agricultural products so that it improves their “value realisation”, especially in the north-east and tribal districts.