Context: Time Use Survey (TUS) is an important source of information about the activities that are performed by the population and the time duration for which such activities are performed.
- One distinguishing feature of Time Use Survey from other household surveys is that it can capture time disposition on different aspects of human activities, be it paid, unpaid or other activities with such details which is not possible in other surveys.
- The primary objective of Time Use Survey (TUS) is to measure participation of men and women in paid and unpaid activities.
- TUS is an important source of information on the time spent in unpaid caregiving activities, volunteer work, unpaid domestic service producing activities of the household members.
- It also provides information on time spent on learning, socializing, leisure activities, self-care activities, etc., by the household members.
- National Statistical Office (NSO), under the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, conducted the first Time Use Survey in India during January – December 2019.
Features of the Survey
- This survey covered both rural and urban households.
- Information on time use was collected from each member of age 6 years and above of the selected households.
- In this survey data on time use was collected through personal interview method.