- Government has created Indian National Space, Promotion & Authorization Centre (IN-SPACe), under Department of Space to encourage, promote and hand hold the private sector for their participation in Space Sector.
- Private players will also be able to use ISRO infrastructure through IN-SPACe.
- The role of New Space India Limited (NSIL) in the post reformed space sector would be to build launch vehicles, providing launch services, build satellites, providing space-based services, technology transfers, etc.
IN-SPACe Vs NSIL Vs Antrix
New Space India Limited (NSIL)
- ISRO has formed the NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), a public sector undertaking (PSU) under the administrative control of the Department of Space that will
commercially exploit the research and development work of the space agency,
co-produce PSLV and launch satellites through Small Satellite Launch Vehicles (SSLVs).
The Functions of NSIL will involve:
- Small satellite technology transfer to industry,
- Manufacturing of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) — a product which is being developed by the ISRO — in collaboration with the private sector and
- Production of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- The new company will also look after the production and marketing of space-based products and services, including launch and application, developed by ISRO centres and the constituent units of the Department of Space and marketing spin-off technologies and products and services both in India and abroad.
Note: Antrix Ltd is another PSU under the Department of Space that acts as a commercial arm of ISRO and markets the products and services of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRONSIL differs from ISRO’s existing commercial arm Antrix Corporation:
- Antrix will handle ISRO’s commercial deals for satellites and launch vehicles with foreign customers.
- NSIL will deal with capacity building of local industry for space manufacturing.