Context: The World malaria report, published annually by WHO, provides a comprehensive update on global and regional malaria data and trends.
Notable Facts relevant for us
HIL (India) has supplied DDT to South Africa for Malaria control program
- HIL (India) Limited, a PSU under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers is the sole manufacturer of DDT globally.
- The company was incorporated in the year 1954 to manufacture and supply DDT to Government of India’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for malaria control programme.
- The Company is also exporting the product to many African countries.
- DDT is one of the chemicals targeted by the Stockholm Convention
- Spraying of insecticides inside the human habitants i.e. Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS) has proven to be effective mosquito control tool.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends DDT as one of the efficient IRS chemicals to curb malaria mosquito menace and it is widely used by many Southern African countries and India.
- The Centre has notified several diseases such as cholera, diphtheria, encephalitis, leprosy, meningitis, pertussis (whooping cough), plague, tuberculosis, AIDS, hepatitis, measles, yellow fever, malaria, dengue, etc.
- A notifiable disease is any disease that is required by law to be reported to government authorities.
Certification of malaria elimination:
- Certification of malaria elimination is the official recognition by WHO of a country’s malaria-free status.
- WHO grants this certification when a country has proven, beyond reasonable doubt, that the chain of local transmission of all human malaria parasites has been interrupted nationwide for at least the past 3 consecutive years.
- Maldives and Sri Lanka are the two countries in the region which have eliminated malaria.
The Global Fund
- The Global Fund is a 21st-century partnership organization designed to accelerate the end of AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics.
- Founded in 2002, the Global Fund is a partnership between governments, civil society, the private sector and people affected by the diseases.
- The Global Fund raises and invests nearly US$4 billion a year to support programs run by local experts in countries and communities most in need.
- The Global Fund does not implement programs on the ground.
- Global Fund staff, all based in Geneva, Switzerland, come from all professional backgrounds and from more than 100 different countries.
- Note: Stockholm Convention was covered in 9th Sep file.